About Fogdog's Weight Loss

Don't Focus on the Goal...

If you've followed this blog you know that I've struggled for many years with improving my health. I've finally reached a point where I've managed to maintain a small amount of success. Now it's time to take the next step, but I believe it requires a new way of thinking.

Instead of trying to get healthy, why not shift focus toward learning how to build healthy habits instead. Follow me as I try to teach myself how to Engineer healthy habits that will allow me to take my health to the next level. Let's see where this experiment goes!

Friday, January 23, 2015

Day #19 - Junk Food Vampire

Today is the day when I finally broke through and made it through the whole day without feeling worn out and without eating unhealthy foods.  I wish I could say that about Day #19... but I can't.  I seem to be stuck in this never-ending cycle of great behavior by day and not so great behavior by night.  I'm starting to think maybe I'm a junk food vampire!  Still, I did eat healthy all day and got my water in.  Then we went out for dinner.  Just a burger, cheese fries, and salad, but certainly not what I should be eating. 

It's hard for me to continue to post day in and out about how I'm not eating healthy for the entire day, but I committed to blogging everyday no matter what.  I might have to change my blog name again to something like "The incredible snail journey" but I'm not giving up.  To be honest, and I know this is going to sound funny if you've ever read some of my old stuff, but I think this is the most successful I've ever been with losing weight.  Not by the scale mind you or by how well I'm sticking to my diet, but rather the simple fact that I haven't quit and don't have any plans to. 

I'm a black and white kind of guy; the light switch is either on or off.  In the past I would always start off great and for as many as 8 weeks the pounds would fly off.  Then I would have a bad day...and the switch was flipped.  From that point on it was only a matter of time before I was completely off the diet; usually in less than a week.  If you don't believe me, go back and look at some of my old posts.  Those big gaps in time... you got it, completely off the wagon and in the ditch. 

It was always like I was waiting for that first failure.  You know, that first failure that gives you an excuse to cheat a little more, then a little more until finally you have enough failures to give you an excuse to give up altogether only to come back 6 months later 30 pounds heavier.

This time I'm not in that mode.  This time it's more about making as much effort as possible each day.  This time the day ends and tomorrow starts all over again no matter how well or poorly I did.  This time 75% of the time is better than 50% and that's better than nothing.  The mindset is there, this is real.  It might take me 5 years, but I have to keep going, there is no more quitting.  Tomorrow I'm going to write a little about how I can measure my progress, and, oh yeah, I have to weigh in too!

Day #19 is in the books, time to focus on the big #20

Stay Strong!   

1 comment:

  1. If you ate healthy 75% of the day and exercised, that is forward movement man. Don't ever minimize progress. And I like that you don't think you gotta be skinny in 6 months. That takes a lot of pressure out of an already tough journey. You go FD!

    ReplyDelete