About Fogdog's Weight Loss

Don't Focus on the Goal...

If you've followed this blog you know that I've struggled for many years with improving my health. I've finally reached a point where I've managed to maintain a small amount of success. Now it's time to take the next step, but I believe it requires a new way of thinking.

Instead of trying to get healthy, why not shift focus toward learning how to build healthy habits instead. Follow me as I try to teach myself how to Engineer healthy habits that will allow me to take my health to the next level. Let's see where this experiment goes!

Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Day #72 - The Bad Mood Habit

I woke up this morning in a bad mood.  It wasn't lack of sleep, it wasn't that I was jolted out of bed by screaming kids, I simply just woke up in a bad mood.  As I was sitting there on the bed I had a startling realization... whenever I try to do something healthy I end up in a bad mood.

When I quit smoking I was in a bad mood for almost a whole month (just ask my family).  When I tried to quit drinking a few weeks back I was in a terrible mood by the end of the week.  Whenever I go a day or two eating healthy I end up in a bad mood.

As I thought about it more and more, I started to realize that I've always ended up in a bad mood when I tried to do something healthy.  In fact, I can't remember a single time when it wasn't the case! 

So it got me wondering why?  I thought about this morning.  I wasn't feeling hungry or deprived when I got up.  I wasn't aching to have a huge unhealthy breakfast and knew I couldn't.  There was really no reason for me to be in a bad mood.

Then it hit me; it's a habit.  I've quit smoking and started diets a million times.  Time after time after time I would convince myself that I was miserable and should just give in.  Yesterday, I wrote about my top 5 excuses, but never really thought about my mood as my ultimate excuse.  Year after year of using my mood as an excuse has essentially trained me to associate healthy behavior with misery.

Have you ever said "I would rather be fat and happy than thin and miserable"?  I know I've said that many times before.  There's a problem with that though... I'm fat but I'm not happy; It's just another excuse.  In fact, there's no guarantee that I'll be happy when I'm thin.  There's no correlation between happiness and weight.  Weight is a physical measure and happiness is just a state of mind.

Fat people can choose to be happy or not and so can't thin people.  To some of you this might not seem like that big a deal, but this was one of those really amazing self discoveries that has me astounded that it took me 42 years to make this connection.  Granted my world isn't flipped upside down, but it's still a big deal to me.

Anyway, my mood improved quite a bit after that and I had another really good day following my eating plan, walking a mile at lunchtime, and getting my gallon of water in.  That makes 2 days in a row and I need to keep pushing for the consistency.  Now when I feel like I'm in a bad mood, I'll have to ask myself is it real or is it habit?

Stay Strong!

5 comments:

  1. Happiness does come from within ....... and we all have days when we are not as happy as we'd like. Stay chilled and think positive thoughts - that may help.

    Hope tomorrow is a good day.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I get in a bad mood if I cut out carbs! Not pleasant to live with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You wrote: 'There's no correlation between happiness and weight.'
    Yep, right on the button! Well said, that man.
    Losing weight isn't a magic bullet (I used to think it was 'the answer' but it wasn't), but remembering to look for and really 'see' the good stuff in life gets you a lot closer to 'happy'. My much missed Mum saw this clearly... took her daughter a helluva lot longer to cotton on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For me, when I wake up after having done the right thing the day before, I feel happy about it. When I do the wrong thing, I wake up feeling behind the curve. :) Maybe you can reverse it to that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think being in a bad mood take a lot of energy for really what gain? Nothing! May as well enjoy what we are doing, as you say "happiness is a state of mind" and we can control that!

    ReplyDelete