About Fogdog's Weight Loss

Don't Focus on the Goal...

If you've followed this blog you know that I've struggled for many years with improving my health. I've finally reached a point where I've managed to maintain a small amount of success. Now it's time to take the next step, but I believe it requires a new way of thinking.

Instead of trying to get healthy, why not shift focus toward learning how to build healthy habits instead. Follow me as I try to teach myself how to Engineer healthy habits that will allow me to take my health to the next level. Let's see where this experiment goes!

Friday, January 22, 2010

Journal Update - 1/22/10

Another week is coming to a close and I'll face the scale yet again tomorrow.  No worries though, I think I did pretty well this week.  I managed to do all my strength training workouts and I only missed my Thursday elliptical workout (with good reason).  I'll be making up the elliptical workout on Saturday per my exercise plan.

As far as eating goes, I'm still doing good (not great, just good).  Last Saturday I went to a friend's house to watch some football.  I had a few beers and some chips, but definitely did not eat like a pig like I usually do.  One of my friends and I started a conversation about running a marathon.  In the end we decided it would be cool to run a 5K together.  He said he was going to look into it for me and find a run we can do, I'll see if he actually follows up on it.  This would be another great motivator for me to have to train to run a race.  I'm so out of shape, I'm not even sure if I could walk 3.2miles let alone run. 

Absolute Beginner's Guide to Half-Marathon Training: Get Ready to Run or Walk a 5K, 8K, 10K or Half-Marathon Race

On Sunday I took the family out to eat and I enjoyed my 1 weekly cheat meal (part of my plan).  What's nice is that I've stopped looking at the menu in restaurants trying to figure out what item will provide me with the largest quantity and instead looked for something with some really good flavor.  I ended up with a burger that was loaded with caramelized onions, roasted red peppers, and some Cajun sauce that made the whole thing out of this world!  I really enjoyed that burger, all the flavors just really came together.  It's nice to have a cheat meal and really enjoy it.

The week started a little rough for me.  I ate right Monday during the day, but the wife and I became enablers to each other on Monday night and we talked ourselves into getting a chocolate cake.  I had a slice on Monday night and then again on Tuesday night.  It certainly didn't help my cause, but I guess it could have been worse.

Other than the cake, the rest of my week has been good.  I've been eating normal portions and drinking lots of water.  Typically I eat around 2500 calories and get about 80-100 ounces in each day.  I ate a lot of fruits and vegetables; I'm really starting to enjoy them a lot! 

I'm definitely feeling a lot better these days.  Last week I was hungry all the time and I think it was just my body getting used to the new exercise routine.  This week the hunger was not as bad and I hope it shows on the scale.  I'm not exactly sure how to describe it, but my mind just feels a little sharper as well.  I was more productive at work this week and I think it has to do with the exercise.  I work out in the morning and it gives me a boost to starting my day.  I've been in this situation before and I like it a lot.  I look back and wonder why I ever stopped working out in my past failed attempts to lose weight.

Lastly, I've also started seeking out other bloggers to follow and some have started following my blog as well.  I have to admit with 3 very young kids and an extremely busy job, I have a hard time even finding time to write, let alone follow others.  However, I am amazed at all the support out there.  Every blog I've been to is full of supportive comments; it's really cool to see everyone helping each other out that way.  I've always had the knowledge on how to physically lose weight, but it's been the mental side of it that has always kept me down.  I'm hoping that by being part of this community it will help to give me that mental edge to see this journey through to the end.  I also feel this sense of accountability when I have to post my weight each week, it's definitely helping me to stay motivated.  Thanks to Esther, Phil, Chubby Chick, and Weezel who have all recently started following my blog, I look forward to contributing to this community as we all battle this demon.

Tomorrow I'll post the results of my weigh-in; I'm expecting another loss, but you never really know until you step on.  Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. My first week at work proved to be excellent for this cause. I have miles of corridor to walk daily to pick up charts, and visit residents . . . The facility also has a filtered ice water machine so I picked up one of those new stainless-steel bottles (plastic water bottles are not good if you have a tendancy to leave them in your vehicle, like I do!)and I've been keeping it filled and drinking lots of water. The result: another 3 pounds lost. 6.5 so far this month.

    ReplyDelete