About Fogdog's Weight Loss

Don't Focus on the Goal...

If you've followed this blog you know that I've struggled for many years with improving my health. I've finally reached a point where I've managed to maintain a small amount of success. Now it's time to take the next step, but I believe it requires a new way of thinking.

Instead of trying to get healthy, why not shift focus toward learning how to build healthy habits instead. Follow me as I try to teach myself how to Engineer healthy habits that will allow me to take my health to the next level. Let's see where this experiment goes!

Saturday, August 23, 2014

Slight Change of Plans... Why Wait?

My last post was actually pretty emotional for me.  It got me really thinking hard about my future and my pending transformation.  To be honest, I woke up this morning wondering just what else I needed to wait for in order to get this process going. What else do I need, a sign from God?  You know how it is, we all need to draw that line in the sand and say (this is where it all starts… right here).  Until you reach that line nothing you do matters.  Whether you gain 5 pounds or lose 5 before that line it really makes no difference.  The line is drama, it’s the line you plan on pointing to 2 years from now when you are surrounded by people who want to know how you did it.

I continued to ponder as I read some other people’s blogs, and then sat down for breakfast.  As I was eating I asked my wife how many calories she thought I was eating.  She had made me two bacon, egg, and cheese sandwiches; here’s my calorie total for breakfast:

  • 1 Large cup of coffee with cream and sugar – 150 calories
  • 3 Eggs – 210 calories
  • 4 Pieces of Bacon – 120 calories
  • ¾ Oz. Cheese – 75 calories
  • 4 Pieces of Bread – 480 calories
  • 2 Tbsp Butter – 200 calories
That’s a grand total of 1235 calories just for breakfast!  If I was on my plan right now I’d have about 300 calories left for the day.  This has to stop!  I couldn’t even remember anything about the 5 minutes (yes I said 5) where I sat there and wolfed those sandwiches down.  How’d they taste?  I couldn’t tell you because I ate them mindlessly.  No More!

I told my wife I’m ready to start now.  We’re doing this together so I needed her agreement; we compromised on starting tomorrow (which ironically will be our cheat day).  It doesn’t matter; in my opinion we really started today.  I went into the basement and setup an area for working out.  The new house we bought 2 months ago came with an elliptical machine and a treadmill plus we already had an elliptical and free weights.  I don’t like the elliptical that came with the house plus it only supports 325 lbs, so I’m giving that one to a friend.  I organized the room and now it’s ready to be used.

Later on we went out to the big and tall store.  All of my clothes are extremely tight and so I wanted to get just a couple things to hold me over until the pounds start coming off.  First I had to drive 45 minutes to get there.  When I arrived they didn’t have any jeans that were “regular fit”.  I know we fat guys need some room in the seat, but it’s always too much for me and it always looks like I have a big load in my pants.  Anyway, no jeans, but I found a nice pair of shorts.  I tried and tried to find a collar shirt to match but no luck.  Everytime I found a color I liked I couldn’t find it in my size (3XLT).  Finally, I got pissed, dropped the shorts, and left.  Nothing like a waste of a 45 minute drive!  All the way home I kept thinking about how mice it would be to not have to go to a special store to buy clothes anymore.  The time will come soon!

Tomorrow morning I will get on the scale.  Then My wife and I will go shopping to get the food we need for the rest of the week.  I am starting to get excited.  Even though tomorrow is a cheat day for us (In order to keep our schedule right), I still plan on eating reasonable.  Tomorrow I’ll post my plan… and my starting weight.  Wish me luck!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Mark! I remember you! (I saw you posting at somewhere else this morning on my blogroll 'run.') I was like "WOW! Fogdog is back!" and excitedly raced over here. :) I'm sorry you are still struggling, but congrats on giving up smoking! HUGE step!

    I love Sean's blog/Sean too.

    I'm not sure what plan (food wise) you are going to 'go on.' I would like to suggest you go to marksdailyapple.com, click the 'start here' button/tab, and read up a little on 'primal.' I will be celebrating my one year maintenance anniversary this year, thanks to Mark's plan/going 'primal.' (ie., I call it for me, NGNS-5. Meaning I eat no grains or sugar, with 5% wiggle room. LOL) There is SO much good science now on giving up wheat and sugar...from Mark's site to the book Wheat Belly to the ex head of the FDA's "The End of Overeating." All the material is out there...you just have to seek it out and BELIEVE it and trust the process even when you slip up. Because we are all human, we all slip up, but as long as we trust the science behind our new 'process'....two steps forward, one step back...is still forward process!

    Instead of a goal weight, make your goal better health which leads to a better quality of life for you and your family. When we eat for health instead of a number, amazing things happen...especially in our mind! We look at each food as fuel; what are YOU doing for ME, instead of the unhealthy obsessions that have guided us in the past.

    I know you can do it, and I'm bookmarking you, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gwen, I remember you too, congratulations on reaching and maintaining your goal.

      I've actually been to marksdailyapple, there's a lot of good stuff there even if you aren't on the primal. I've actually decided to try carb cycling. I chose this because it very closely resembles previous plans that I have used successfully and It just seems like a decent plan. To be honest I'm not too worried about the eating plan, I think most "natural" plans work for just about anyone. For me, this time is all about the mindset!

      I actually started this morning, so tonight I will be posting my plan and my starting weight. Thanks for continuing to follow me and for all your support.

      Delete
  2. The best time is always now! Looking forward to following your journey as I keep working on my own!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck... and good choices :)

    ReplyDelete