About Fogdog's Weight Loss

Don't Focus on the Goal...

If you've followed this blog you know that I've struggled for many years with improving my health. I've finally reached a point where I've managed to maintain a small amount of success. Now it's time to take the next step, but I believe it requires a new way of thinking.

Instead of trying to get healthy, why not shift focus toward learning how to build healthy habits instead. Follow me as I try to teach myself how to Engineer healthy habits that will allow me to take my health to the next level. Let's see where this experiment goes!

Sunday, February 8, 2015

Day #35 - Sore But Mentally Strong

I woke this morning to quite a bit of soreness all over.  To make matters worse I got a horrible night's sleep on the couch so I feel exhausted as well.  Still, my mental resolve is strong. 

Mrs. Fogdog and I spent some time talking today.  For starters we had to make a decision about what to do with the master bedroom.  Since I now have a gaping hole in the ceiling, I'm going to have to do some serious construction work.  With that it made sense to move our bedroom downstairs into our dining room until the repairs are complete.  Also, we had made some plans to remodel the master bathroom this year as well.  Since the bedroom is vacant, it makes sense to just go ahead and do the bathroom at the same time.

We also talked about our terrible record with dining out.  We go out occasionally during the week, but when the weekends come, we sometimes tend to go a little nuts.  Essentially we are trying to get to the root of why we can't get it under control.  I don't know how many times we've said we need to stop only to do it again the following weekend.

What makes it worse is that we don't even enjoy it anymore.  It's not like Mrs. Fogdog just needs a break and we go out for something different; we typically only go to a handful of places for the same old food.  Even our kids are sick of going out to eat!

Anyway, today I think we dug a little deeper than usual and had a great discussion about this topic.  We lead pretty boring lives and I think sometimes we go out to eat just out of shear boredom.  Mrs. FogDog agrees and we told ourselves that we need to just accept that many of our weekends are going to be boring.  We shouldn't be going out just because we are bored with staying home and we need to find ways to spice up our weekends without resorting to food.

It was a great talk and I feel like this could end up be a good week for us.  However, I'm not looking at the whole week; my focus is just on tomorrow

I mentioned above that my mental resolve is strong; I say that because I can feel myself getting sick of my old habits.  I'm sick of drinking alcohol, I'm sick of watching TV and doing nothing around the house, I'm sick of going out to eat, and I'm sick of carrying all this weight around.  Over the last few weeks attempts to "hang on" to my old habits have not been successful; the temporary high I used to get doesn't seem to be there anymore.  I'm definitely ready for this change.

Day #35 is over, on to Day #36

Stay Strong! 

No comments:

Post a Comment